July 04, 2010

True Beauty is not only Skin Deep! The Katie Piper Story


I saw this story on Friday night on ABC's 20/20, and it truly left a lasting effect on me. I went from a of feeling complete shock, to disgust at how cruel people can be, to a feeling of triumph to see how Katie Piper took her life back when it was so drastically changed back in March of 2008. Katie Piper was brutally attacked when her ex-boyfriend of 2-weeks who she met on facebook, conspired an attack on her that was caught by security camera's on a busy London street. Katie's attacker threw sulfuric acid on her face to strip her of her beauty forever. Katie who was 25 at the time of the attack, was a model and aspiring tv personality. Her relentless beauty was the main key to her boosting career, which at the time was thriving. According to her, "The pain was so bad I thought a guy threw a match at me... I thought... I must be a big orange fireball because it's so painful," as she remembered. She likewise said, "I remember bits of my face were coming off and bits were coming away, and my clothes were all evaporating and I was panicking. I was banging on the windows of the shops and people were scared."
Katie's 33 year old boyfriend, was responsible for the crime and after a long legal battle he was convicted to two life sentences by a London court. Katie's experience and the way she handled her unfortunate situation, truly showed that her beauty was not only on the outside but, also radiant on the inside. Her road to recovery was long and hard, but through it all she kept very positive and despite the trauma of the attack against her she was determined to take her life back. It has been 2 years since Katie was brutally attacked and she is now, living a normal life, embracing her new face and she now feels beautiful again. Katie has decided to use what happened to her as a platform to help other burn victims to have the opportunity to receive treatments and reconstructive surgeries. Katie is a true example of what true beauty is all about.

1 comment: